Thursday, June 25, 2009

6/24/2009: FiveFingers Day 3

Argh! My calves are so tight today after yesterday's run. Wow, this is crazy. I've never had them this tight before. I drink a lot of water at work, so every time I took a bathroom break I also stopped and stretched my legs. Hopefully they'll loosen up pretty soon.
As always, the FiveFingers are great. No one has mentioned anything about them yet, so I'm not sure if they are just accepting them or have yet to notice them.
On a side note, my coworker brought his dog to work today.

I made a pot of rice for lunch - I took a box of rice and pinto beans from Save-A-Lot and added black beans, corn, and stewed tomatoes. Yummy! Hmm, saying "Yummy!" in my head made me think "Timmay!".
My bike is still not done, but it should be done sometime this week. I can't wait to ride it again.

This spring, I was planning on joining ARMA (http://www.thearma.org/) and learning how to use a sword. Then I got laid off and that got shoved to the wayside. As I now have a steady income again, I am once again looking into this. I think I will start by focusing on the Scottish Claymore Broadsword, which is really a basket-hilt broadsword and not a claymore... I'll have to get a wooden waster (http://www.woodenswords.com/WMA/baskethilt.broadsword.htm) and figure out something for a pell, but I'm quite excited. Eventually I'd also like to tie in the targe and dirk.

The Scottish Basket-Hilt Broadsword:



While I was looking up Scottish stuff, I looked up clans. The Reid surname is apparently claimed by Clan Robertson.. whether or not I'm related to that or not is unknown. My mother will likely know, as she is a genealogy guru. All I know right now is that I have both Scottish and Irish blood and some others that I can't remember.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, check with your mother but Mrs. Tyler moved to the US from Scotland and married a Mr. William Reid with which they had nine children ( my father included), he died and she remarried a Mr William Quick with whom they had three or four children. Mrs. Quick (my grandmother) died when I was a young boy. I had the opportunity to go into her room and say goodbye. She had jaundice, and ended up dying of old age. I was very young but remember this as well as my older sister Becky. If you want to check the Scottish heritage you have to begin with the name Tyler. You might want to consider Fencing instead. Although French is more romantic. Broad sword is a killing weapon only. Where fencing has become more of a sport.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input, I'll have to check into that now.
    As for the broadsword, I know it's meant only as a killing weapon. ARMA is all about researching and learning the old fighting ways, particularly in the Renaissance period. Eventually, I should be able to find a sparring partner in the area.. that would be loads of fun. But I've always wanted to learn how to use a sword.
    Fencing would be cool to learn too, but I'm more interested in sword fighting.
    Now off to look up Tyler...

    ReplyDelete