Thursday, June 25, 2009

6/23/2009: FiveFingers Day 2

I wore my FiveFingers to work today. On Vibram's website they recommend only wearing them for short periods of time, but since I already go barefoot a lot, I figured it wouldn't be an issue - and I was right. It was awesome to not have big, clunky shoes on all day. I'm able to step so much lighter that it's hard to keep from running everywhere. With the socks on, it feels a lot like wearing a pair of slippers - except my toes are free. Hopefully wearing these will help my toes spread out, as my two smallest toes have become squished from years of shoe wearing. I used to tie my shoes super tight so that my feet wouldn't slip around at all - too bad I didn't have these as a kid...

Work was great, I love the variety of things I get to do, the fact that I get to spend a lot of time programming, and the knowledge that my work is appreciated. They are very into expressing thanks here.

After work I went to the park to work out. When it came time for running, I ran 1 lap (1/2 mile) in my FiveFingers. As awesome as they are, they are definitely not the same as barefooting. I run in them the same I run barefoot, but while I was able to feel the ground underneath of me, it was a muted sensation; and although the FiveFingers are light and form-fitting, I was still well aware that my feet were not free. At the end of that lap, I stripped off my VFF's and tossed them in the car, then ran 3 more laps barefoot for a total of 2 miles. Not as good as my 2.5 mile run on Sunday, but on Sunday 4 of the laps were with shoes on so I was ok with it.
I felt really good when I finished my run, but my calves were quite tired. I wonder how they'll feel tomorrow.

I took my iPod out of my waistband to shut it off, and the screen was blank! When I pressed Pause, the song started stuttering. About this time I noticed the iPod was wet from sweat as well as being really hot. I stuck it in my car and pulled on my VFF's, then went over to the empty playground (although I was tired, the playground is never empty so I couldn't pass it up) and played around. I walked across the monkey bars, swung across their swingie thing (it's like monkey bars but with the round handles on chains that guy gymnasts do really cool stuff with) and then jumped and rolled off the other side. I decided that was enough for tonight and headed home, where I stuck my iPod in a bowl of rice to dry out.

I then jumped in the pool for a little while to cool down. I love swimming...
I spent the rest of the night playing Prototype and talking to Mor.

No comments:

Post a Comment